Tuesday, January 1, 2008

When Life Hits You Hard

My friend Joel has a great post I think you'd be interested in. Here's the link. Joel remarks about plowing straight ahead and not looking back. His message really hit home to me. I hope it touches you as well. Joel is theologically on track and his insight is second to none.

After reading Joel's post I thought about the movie "Rocky Balboa." I watched that movie again today. It's more than just about a boxer trying to make a comeback. It's about a man trying to let go of the beast inside him and be set free from the past. It went right along with what my friend Joel was saying on his blog.

Rocky Talks To His Son



There's a scene where Rocky's son doesn't want his father to fight again. He feels somewhat embarrassed that hid dad would step into the ring. Rocky says some pretty tough words to his son, but in a loving way. I couldn't help but be touched by the words in this scene. Below is a clip of that monologue Rocky delivers so well.

You know, life does hit us hard at times, doesn't it? None of us are immune from setbacks, disappointments and heartache. I guess it comes down to the very question of what do we do when it happens. Rocky gives the answer. And, greater yet...The Lord said to be of good cheer, for he has overcome the world. Plus, we are in Christ and we ultimately overcome too, don't we?

There have been times we all have probably said, "I can't take it anymore, I give up." But, we continue, we go on. The sad matter is this question at hand. What do people do that don't know the Lord? Who do they turn to in their time of sorrow? Jesus said that his yoke was easy and his burden is light. We could find rest in him. I need to remind myself of that daily. When life throws me those punches, I need to remember that Jesus took the biggest punch of all. It seemed all over when he cried out, "Father, it is finished." Oh, but that wasn't the end. And...it isn't for us. I need to remind myself of that on a daily basis. Believe me, I can write these nice words, but living them out becomes the tough part. But, with the Lord, we overcome. So, for this new year, when life hits you hard, go to the one that took the toughest blows and can comfort like no one else can. May the peace of Christ be with you all!

Rocky Speaks

3 comments:

  1. I read Joel's blog today. Thanks for passing on the link. I saw the Rocky Balboa movie on a recent plane ride back from the West Coast. It was actually a pretty good movie. However, Stallone must be obsessed with the past (i.e. looking backwards from the plow) as he keeps making sequels to movies he made when he was much younger. I just saw where "Rambo" is coming out soon. What's next...Tango & Cash?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mr. Shumway,

    I heard he was trying to redeem himself from Rocky 5. I love all the Rocky films but that one. Many fans agree. I felt that "6" showed a man that was truly trying to let go of his past, although it was difficult. Many people in life face the same struggles. I thought it was well done.

    However, I hope there isn't another "Tango and Cash." One was enough!

    Be well,

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  3. rocky 6 was rated one of the best fi;ms of 2007. it goes beyond just mere boxing, it's about past demons that haunt us, relationships that have ended and some that need fine-tuned. great film, should win best picture of the year. what a way for the great sly stallone ending it this way. i have watched the film ten times and i still get moved by his performance. i will always be touched by the rocky films. bravo randy, great post to a great film.

    ReplyDelete