Thursday, January 17, 2008

Scooby Doo And Chapman Too



England Dan and John Ford Coley had a major hit back in 1976 with, "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight." However, for those of us old enough to remember, there was confusion over a line in the song. Radio stations did on-air contests giving prizes away to those who could answer what the line was actually saying. I have no idea how many won anything, but it was fun enough.

The line was, "I'm not talking about moving in, and I don't want to change your life." But, it seemed the group's vocals were a bit muddled during the singing of that line. Listeners got confused as they played the song over and over. One guy went so far as to say, "Are they saying, 'I'm not talking about millenium?'" Funny, the thousand year reign of Christ in a secular pop song. Ah...no.

Well today, I'm taking a humorous look at one song. First off let me say, I'm not making light of this wonderful song, "I Need Jesus" that Gary Chapman sings about. This song is wonderful and right on target. Gary sings it well and it's one of my favorite tunes. However, towards the end of the song, Gary kind of, well, isn't clear on what he is singing. It's kind of the England Dan thing going on there. Below is a clip of the last thirty seconds of this song. After Gary sings "I need Jesus" the third time, there's a slight instrumental portion and then he says...well...something! To me, it sounds like, "Scooby Doo too." No, it couldn't be. No more than England Dan and John Ford Coley's song said, "Millenium."

You just gotta hear it. Help me out. By the way, I've tried to find the lyrics online to no avail. And...I don't have the original CD with the lyrics. Plus, what he said could be improvisional. If you figure it out, let me know!

Gary Randy 1994



By the way, if there's a one-in-a-million chance that Gary reads this blog I hope he knows that I love his music and just wanted to share a little humor. By the way, I included a picture of Gary and me from 1994. He's really fun to interview and a great guy. He's a riot. Be well all.

I Need Jesus Edit

6 comments:

  1. I need donuts, woo woo woo woo?

    Sorry, I got nuthin.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the funniest misunderstood lines from a Christian song was from the Imperials' "Yes, Lord, I'd rather believe in you." Someone was convinced it said, "Yes, Lord, I'd rather be me than you." :)

    Also, there was the little girl who heard Steven Curtis Chapman sing "Saddle up your horses" and thought he was saying "Satellite divorces." :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought he was saying, "More than C3PO." It's a Star Wars reference.

    Actually, this reminds me of a more recent song by Casting Crowns called "If We Are the Body." In the second part of the chorus there are five lines that actually go like this...

    "And if we are the Body
    Why aren't His feet going
    Why is His love not showing them there is a way
    There is a way"

    But whenever I hear the third line where he says, "them" it sounds like "damn". So, pardon my French and all for cussing on your blog (sort of), but I think it would be really gutsy and kind of cool if it was "damn" because, "damn, there IS a way." Honestly, I don't think Jesus would be upset with that.

    Wow, I've cussed entirely too much today--and on your blog, too. I hope you don't delete this, but I'll understand if you do (although, I'm using the word in context).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mr. Shumway,

    No way would I delete this! I'm with you all the way. Christians sometimes, well, get too religious.
    There are times that a fresh approach is needed. I applaud your honesty.

    Hope you are well.

    Randy

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the song "I need Jesus" the words he sings are "More than anything else."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lori,

    Thanks for clearing that up! I can hear it now!

    Thanks for writing,

    Randy

    ReplyDelete