Monday, March 2, 2009

Let Not Your Heart Be Troubled


"Do not let your heart be troubled; believe in God, believe also in Me." This verse out of John 14 should be a comfort to us. Especially in these troubled days in which we live. Just today I talked with a friend that is fearful he may lose everything he's worked so hard to get. I also talked with a technician at my doctor's office that is concerned her husband will be laid-off from work.

Also, when we look around us we can definitely see the a lot of things in crisis. Wall Street taking a dive, housing is down, the auto makers wasting billions, and the list goes on. These are times that we need to remind myself that we are God's. He has taken care of us in the past, I need to trust him now as we live in uncertain days.

Of course the historical context of this passage was where Jesus was comforting his disciples. He knew what was ahead. He told them to not be troubled. He had to go away. He also said he would go and make a place for them. Then, he would come back and receive them unto himself. Jesus wrapped it up by saying he is "the way, the truth and the life."

Now from a inspirational perspective, I think it would be good for us to remember that we can rest in him. He will come back and receive us unto himself. We don't know the day or the hour he will come. But, rest assured, we have that hope, we have that promise, he will come again. In the meantime we can put our faith, hope and trust in the one who called us unto himself.

I've written nothing new today. Nothing that hasn't already been written so many times before. At times though, we need to be reminded of simple truths. Well, I know that I do. I think when John the Beloved was on the isle of Patmos and saw all the things that was to come upon the earth, I'm sure it must have been amazing to see into the future. But, as he finished the book of Revelation, he leaves us with the words: "He which testifieth these things saith, Surely I come quickly. Amen. Even so, come, Lord Jesus." That's where my faith is anchored. There's no better place to be than in the arms of our Lord! Be well.

No comments:

Post a Comment