Saturday, March 15, 2008

Resurrection Freedom




Quote from the "Rabbi's Heartbeat": Apart from the risen Christ we live in a world without meaning, a world of shifting phenomena, a world of death, danger and darkness. A world of inexplicable futility. Nothing in interconnected. Nothing is worth doing for nothing endures. It is all sound and fury with no ultimate significance. (The Heart Of The World by Don Aelred Watkin.)

One of my favorite books is Brennan Manning's above titled release. I especially like it too as it was a gift from my friend Steve. The above quote is kind of sad, isn't it? I remember hearing an older preacher years ago saying that this world didn't make a lot of sense. He said the only way he could reconcile the way things are and the way they should be was in one statement. I remember it well. He said that he knew that someday God would right all the wrongs, and make all things right. That's the only way this world at times could make any sense to him. I couldn't agree with him more.

For anyone that knows anything of Brennan Manning, you'll know he speaks very much of the great love of God. I first heard about Brennan through one of my favorite Christian artists, Rich Mullins. My first book that I read was Brennan's "The Ragamuffin Gospel." An incredible book indeed.

Where would any of us be without the love of Christ? Now, there's a question with a lot of weight. All I know in this life is that I'm glad he loves me so. The paradox is apparent on the other hand. How does anyone get through life without knowing the love of Christ? What do they have to hope in? I've said this so many times and will continue to say it: I'm glad that I accepted God's wonderful grace so many years ago. Life can be difficult. However, since those of us that know him as Lord and Saviour we have that promise of someday being with him. True resurrection freedom.

I know I can get on a kick about certain books and music. I kind of get in a small rut at times. However, I don't recommend too many books as there are so many. I do recommend this one though. You can read it in one setting. Brennan Manning has a way of "clearing out the cobwebs" so we can have a better glimpse of the love of God.
May the peace and love of Christ be with you all.

1 comment: