Wednesday, May 7, 2008

In All Things



I know how to be abased, and I know how to abound. Everywhere and in all things I have learned both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need. I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. (Phil 4:12-13)

Those are wise words written by the apostle Paul. Philippians is my favorite New Testament book. I have read these words over and over for years. In this day and age I notice that people are more discontented than ever. Maybe it is more here in the U.S. than anywhere else. Even the poorest among us have more than most of the world has.

I guess having things isn't bad as long as we remember that Christ is number one in our lives. Plus, there are those who are serving God across the seas for the gospel. I really feel that these are the true heroes of the faith. They see the bigger picture. The eternal one. I know we can serve God right where we are. I just can't help but think that those who serve as missionaries have a strength that I don't have. That strength ultimately comes from Christ himself.

I also believe that darker days could be ahead for us as a country. I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but things could grow worse. Maybe we just all need to live like the apostle Paul did: learning to be content in every situation. Be thankful daily for what the Lord provides. He does love us. Our rewards should be eternal ones. For the things of this world will pass away. No, it's not wrong to enjoy the things that God blesses us with, as long as we keep him first.

The older I get I realize that things in and of themselves do not satisfy. I am always reminded of the old song, "Only Jesus Can Satisfy Your Soul." It's true. There are people clamoring all the time for more and more. We'll leave it all behind anyway. May all of us be found faithful at his coming. Be well all.

No comments:

Post a Comment