Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Sacred Romance



I want to mention a great book by Brent Curtis and John Eldredge entitled, "The Sacred Romance." Brent and John say that people love stories. They contend that much of the Bible is written with stories in mind. People love to hear a good story. "The Sacred Romance" is one of those books that literally brought tears. The whole premise is that God wants us to draw nearer to him. In essense, that is the grand scheme of things. God wants us! Why, I'll never know. Page after page tells us that this earth and our lives aren't the way it's supposed to be. We suffer loss, we crave love and things just don't measure up at times. There is a yearning in all of us that something is missing. So, we bury ourselves in activities, work, adventure, books, movies, and ad infinitum. We do so because we "know" something is missing.

That missing part is the great romance of God and us! The part of the book that got to me was one section in particular. Not verbatim, but it talked about the newness we felt when we came to Christ, the day we got married, our first home-run, etc. Where did those times go? Our lives should be a daily "wonder" so to speak. In one chapter of the book, one of the authors said to a neighbor, "How's it going?" He replied, "Oh, same old thing!" It shouldn't be that way. NO, it shouldn't! When I was a boy I had many days playing baseball, climbing trees, and walking by the stream in the woods that was next to our home. I was full of life and wonder. When I received God's invitation to come to him, I did! I was full of rapture and gladness.

Now, I'm a bit older. Some of the flicker, it seems, has gone out. I want that passion renewed. So, with reading this book, I'm starting a trek. A trek that will lead me deeper in the arms of God. God said we'd find him if we'd search for him with our whole hearts. If my love for anything else is greater than my love for him, I have truly missed the whole secret of life. I know I've mentioned this many times. But lately, that chorus by David Baroni keeps repeating itself, "Draw Me Lord and I'll run after you!" It's taken from the Song Of Solomon chapter 1 verse 4 I believe. It mentioned the daughters of Jeruselem. It irks me when pastors just slap that whole book into a doctrinal stance that it is just "the bride of Christ." True, to some degree it is. But, it's also a love story. In fact I adore love stories.

Do yourself a favor and read this book. Other than, "An Arrow Pointing To Heaven", a book on the life of Rich Mullins, has a book touched me so deeply. You see, I knew Rich at least well enough to know the wonder he saw in this world and his total abandonment to the call of Christ. He was a lover of God! Plus, we know that God so loved him! May we all fall deeper in our love for Jesus. Over the weekend I prayed while walking through a parking lot. I told the Lord that at times my feelings run hot and cold, but he never changes in his love for me. If we truly are the bride of Christ, let's live like it! God is the bride groom and he wants a spotless bride. Unfortunately, at times, I have played the harlot in the theater of life with him. How I recant in my wandering from the one who loves me so that he would add in Solomon's book, "Draw me away and we will run after you!" All I know is this, God loved us so and always will, let's be drawn into that sacred romance with our groom, the Lord Jesus Christ. And...may his peace be with you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment